Since College Sporting News produces the Gridiron Power Index (GPI) which is officially used by the NCAA D-I Football Championship Committee, I can speak with knowledge of computer rating systems that measure the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS).
The public GPI uses seven systems advised by Dr. Kenneth Massey as being representative as the best but one is different than the others. In conversations with the owners of these systems, all but one measured all the opponents
Updated 11-16-2012 at 10:28 AM by rwallace
An exciting weekend with Division I tournament automatic qualifier slots on the line and five top 25 rated GPI teams idle.
GPI TOP 25 RESULTS
1. North Dakota State hosted and won 20-17 vs. #9 South Dakota State
2. Sam Houston State won 52-17 at #53 Northwestern State
3. Montana State hosted and won 65-30 vs. #45 Portland State
4. Eastern Washington hosted and won 31-28 vs. #47 UC Davis
5. Georgia Southern hosted and won
Updated 11-10-2012 at 11:19 PM by rwallace
With two weeks left, we are really starting to see what teams we will be watching in postseason play. In fact, Central Arkansas clinched the Southland autobid this past week so we have one team for sure in the playoffs. After this weekend, it will be even more clear but we still have a lot of teams on the fringe so wins are needed.
Here is this week's projections based on the Gridiron Power Index (GPI). Teams in the playoff field by this week's projections are in bold.
Well oh well how time flies. So many good games as we are approaching the end. Together we can watch how it affects the GPI:
10/29/2012 GPI Top 25
Rank School (No. of #1 Ratings) (Rating)
1. N Dakota St won 21-17 at #32 Missouri St
2. Ga Southern hosted and lost 31-28 vs. #16 Appalachian St
3. Montana St won 20-17 at #32 Sacramento St
4. Sam Houston St hosted and won 70-0 vs. #57 SE Louisiana
5. Indiana St hosted and lost 17-10 vs.
Updated 11-04-2012 at 09:01 AM by rwallace
With just three weeks to play, the playoff field is starting to take some shape, although there are many possibilities left. Here are the projections based on the Gridiron Power Index (GPI). Teams in the playoffs are in bold.
1. N Dakota St (8) (1.14) MVFC
2. Ga Southern (1) (3.00) SoCon
3. Montana St (3.71) Big Sky
4. Sam Houston St (5.00) Southland
5. Indiana St (6.86) At-Large #1
6. E Washington (8.00) At-Large #2
7. Cal Poly (8.86) At-Large