The final finish for the playoff contenders with lots of big games. Selection Sunday looms large.
11/12/2012 GPI Top 25
1. North Dakota State won 38-20 at (6) Illinois State
2. Montana State won 16-7 at Montana
3. Sam Houston State lost 47-28 at (FBS) Texas A&M
4. Eastern Washington won 41-34 at (46) Portland State
5. Georgia Southern lost 45-14 at (FBS) Georgia
6. Illinois State hosted and lost 38-20 vs. (1) North Dakota State
Updated 11-17-2012 at 10:52 PM by rwallace
We are down to the last week of games and still we have a number of possibilities for several autobids and a number of at-large spots. Based on the GPI right now, this is what the playoff field will be.
After the games this Saturday, I will place my final projections before the playoff field for this year is announced on Sunday afternoon.
This week's projections are in bold.
1. N Dakota St (9) (1.00) MVFC #1
2. Montana St (2.29) Big Sky #2
Since College Sporting News produces the Gridiron Power Index (GPI) which is officially used by the NCAA D-I Football Championship Committee, I can speak with knowledge of computer rating systems that measure the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS).
The public GPI uses seven systems advised by Dr. Kenneth Massey as being representative as the best but one is different than the others. In conversations with the owners of these systems, all but one measured all the opponents
Updated 11-16-2012 at 11:28 AM by rwallace
An exciting weekend with Division I tournament automatic qualifier slots on the line and five top 25 rated GPI teams idle.
GPI TOP 25 RESULTS
1. North Dakota State hosted and won 20-17 vs. #9 South Dakota State
2. Sam Houston State won 52-17 at #53 Northwestern State
3. Montana State hosted and won 65-30 vs. #45 Portland State
4. Eastern Washington hosted and won 31-28 vs. #47 UC Davis
5. Georgia Southern hosted and won
Updated 11-11-2012 at 12:19 AM by rwallace
With two weeks left, we are really starting to see what teams we will be watching in postseason play. In fact, Central Arkansas clinched the Southland autobid this past week so we have one team for sure in the playoffs. After this weekend, it will be even more clear but we still have a lot of teams on the fringe so wins are needed.
Here is this week's projections based on the Gridiron Power Index (GPI). Teams in the playoff field by this week's projections are in bold.