By Dr. J. Kenyatta Cavil and guest Jasmine Oliver
Inside the HBCU Huddle Columnist
College Sporting News
In the Major Division field of Dr. Cavil's HBCU Major Division Football Top 10 Poll Rankings, the Bethune-Cookman Wildcats (2-0) remain in No. 1 spot after going on the road and beating the No. 5 South Carolina State Bulldogs (1-1), previously ranked No. 2, 27-14. The number one ranked Wildcats will face the FBS Miami Hurricanes of the ACC. The fifth ranked Bulldogs will travel across the country to play the FBS level Arizona Wildcats of the Pac 12.
The No. 2 spot goes to the Tennessee State Tigers (2-0) after crushing the Jackson State Tigers, 38-12. Up next for the Tigers is conference foe the Austin Peay Govs. The third spot goes to the Norfolk State Spartans (2-0) after going on the road and beating the Liberty Flames, 31-24. The No 3 ranked Spartans will welcome Howard Bison to Dick Price Stadium this weekend.
The No. 4 ranked Alabama A&M Bulldogs moved up from the ninth spot after they defeated Arkansas Pine-Bluff Golden Lions, 14-10. The Bulldogs are now 2-0 and will face the 0-2 Prairie View A&M Panthers at home this weekend. The No. 6 team in the poll rankings is the Alabama State Hornets after winning their home opener, beating the Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils 29-7. They travel to Grambling State this weekend being 1-1.
In the No. 7 spot is Delaware State Hornets who lost to the Delaware Blue Hens by a score of 38-14 score dropping them to (1-1) on the young season. Next for the Hornets is the FBS Cincinnati Bearkats of the Big East Conference. The No. 8 ranked team in Dr. Cavil’s Major Division Football Top 10 poll rankings is the Texas Southern Tigers (1-1), after a great win against arch state rival the Prairie View A&M Panthers (0-2) for their opening weekend game, the Tigers succumbed to the FBS North Texas Mean Green of the Sun Belt Conference with a score of 34-7. Next up for the Tigers are the Jackson State Tigers (0-2), as this game will be their home debut in the new BBVA Compass Stadium.
The No. 9 ranked Alcorn State Braves (1-1) were defeated by the James Madison Dukes, 42-3. The Braves will face off against inter conference western division foe the Arkansas at Pine Bluff Golden Lions (1-1). The Golden Lions are coming off of a rough home loss. Finishing out the top ten is the No. 10 ranked Morgan State Bears (1-1) lost to FBS Buffalo of the MAC, 56-34. The Bears will face off against another MAC team, the FBS Akron Zips.
This week on Dr. Cavil’s “HBCU Sports Top 10 Countdown” show on KCOH 1430AM radio (www.kcohradio.com) announced the Week 2 Poll Rankings.
The 10th Anniversary (2002-2012) of Dr. Cavil's HBCU Major Division Football Top 10 Poll Rankings
(Presented by Bert Simmons - State Farm Agent, 281.485.5572; powered by THG Agency, LLC - (The Heritage Group, www.thg-agency.com) & TSPNSports.com)
Name--Record-1PV-Points-PWR-Last Game-Next Game-(September 13-15)
1. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats-(2-0)-(8)-106-1-(Beat S. C. State Bulldogs,(27-14), at-Miami Hurricanes/FBS)
2. Tennessee State Tigers-(2-0)-(2)-94-3-(Beat Jackson State Tigers,(38-12), vs-Austin Peay Govs)
3. Norfolk State Spartans-(2-0)-(2)-91-4-(Beat Liberty Flames,(31-24), vs-Howard Bison)
4. Alabama A & M Bulldogs-(2-0)-83-9-(Beat Arkansas at P. B. Golden Lions,(14-10), vs-Prairie View A&M Panthers)
5. S. C. State Bulldogs-(1-1)-79-2-(Lost to Bethune-Cookman Wildcats,(27-14), at-Arizona Wildcats/FBS)
6. #-Alabama State Hornets-(1-1)-68-NR-(Beat Miss. Valley State Delta Devils,(29-7), at-Grambling State Tigers)
7. Delaware State Hornets-(1-1)-37-6-(Lost to Delaware Blue Hen,(38-14), at-Cincinnati Bearkats/FBS)
8. Texas Southern Tigers-(1-1)-25-7-(Lost to North Texas Mean Green,(34-7), vs-Jackson State Tigers)
9. Alcorn State Braves-(1-1)-20-5-(Lost to James Madison Dukes,(42-3), vs-Arkansas at P. B. Golden Lions)
10. Morgan State Bears-(1-1)-13-8-(Lost to Buffalo Buffalo Bulls/FBS,(56-34), Akron Zips/FBS)
Dropped Out: Arkansas-P. B. Golden Lions-(1-1)
Receiving Votes: N. C. A&T State-(1-1)-12, Howard Bison (1-1)-5, Arkansas-P. B. Golden Lions-(1-1)-3, N. C. Central Eagles (1-1)-1
PWR = Previous Week Ranking, 1PV = 1st Place Votes, LG = Last Game
# = 2011 Dr. Cavil’s HBCU Mid-Major Division Football Champion