By Dr. J. Kenyatta Cavil and guest Jasmine Oliver
Inside the HBCU Huddle Columnist
College Sporting News
In the Major Division field, the Tennessee State Tigers (3-0) enter into the No. 1 spot for the first time this year after beating conference foe Austin Peay (non-HBCU), 34-14. Holding the No. 1 spot for the first time in poll history, Tennessee State will have a showdown awaiting them this weekend as they’ll meet former No. 1 Bethune-Cookman in Daytona, Fla. for a historic matchup.
The No. 2 spot goes to the Alabama A&M Bulldogs after moving up from the fourth spot. The Bulldogs earned their highest point output of the season and remain the only other HBCU Major Division undefeated team after beating the Prairie View A&M Panthers, 42-30. Alabama A&M will travel to Houston to take on the Texas Southern Tigers in a SWAC affair at 11 a.m. Saturday.
The No. 4 Howard Bison and the No. 7 North Carolina A&T State Aggies are in the top 10 poll rankings for the first time this year. The Bison enter into the poll after beating previously undefeated and former No. 3 Norfolk State, 37-36 in an overtime thriller. While the Bison have an open date this weekend, Norfolk State travels to the FBS Ohio Bobcats of the MAC. The Aggies jump in after earning their second consecutive win of the season against Virginia University of Lynchburg, 40-7. Like the Bison, the Aggies also have an open date this weekend.
Alabama State maintains the No. 6 spot as the Hornets earned a tough road victory over the Grambling State Tigers, 19-18. The victory by the Hornets sent the G-Men to a 0-3 start to the season. The Hornets travel to face inter conference western division foe, the No. 8 ranked Arkansas-Pine Bluff Golden Lions for a live television broadcast on ESPNU this Thursday. The Golden Lions defeated Alcorn State, 24-6 as the Braves fell out of the poll. Also falling out of the poll were the Morgan State Bears, Delaware State Hornets, South Carolina State Bulldogs, and Texas Southern Tigers.
The No. 9 Florida A&M Rattlers and No. 10 Jackson State Tigers, after brief exits, are back in the rankings. The Rattlers jumped all over the Hampton Pirates at home with a score of 44-20. Finishing out the top 10, the Jackson State Tigers spoiled the home debut of Texas Southern at the new BBVA Compass Stadium in front of 14,685 fans that came to cheer on their team. Florida A&M will travel to face the Hornets of Delaware State while Jackson State will return to the comforts of their home stadium to face archrival and inter conference SWAC Western Division foe, the Southern Jaguars, who just released head coach Stump Mitchell after losing a home game against the Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils, 6-0. Florida A&M will travel to face the Hornets of Delaware State.
This week on Dr. Cavil’s “HBCU Sports Top 10 Countdown” show on KCOH 1430AM radio (www.kcohradio.com) announced the Week 3 Poll Rankings.
The 10th Anniversary (2002-2012) of Dr. Cavil's HBCU Major Division Football Top 10 Poll Rankings
(Presented by Bert Simmons - State Farm Agent, 281.485.5572; powered by THG Agency, LLC - (The Heritage Group, www.thg-agency.com) & TSPNSports.com)
Name-Record-1PV-Points-PWR-Last Game-Next Game-(September 20-22)
1. Tennessee State Tigers-(3-0)-(5)-102-2-(Beat Austin Peay Govs,(34-14), at-Bethune-Cookman Wildcats)
2. Alabama A & M Bulldogs-(3-0)-(3)-94-4-(Beat Prairie View A&M Panthers,(42-30), at-Texas Southern)
3. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats-(2-1)-(3)-93-1-(Lost to Miami Hurricanes/FBS,(38-10), vs-Tennessee State Tigers)
4. Howard Bison--(2-1)-81-NR-(Beat Norfolk State,(37-36OT), Open)
5. Norfolk State Spartans-(2-1)-(1)-80-3-(Lost Howard Bison,(37-36OT), at-Ohio/FBS)
6. #-Alabama State Hornets-(2-1)-69-6-(Beat Grambling State Tigers,(19-18), vs-Arkansas P. B. Golden Lions)
7. N. C. A & T State Aggies-(2-1)-36-NR-(Beat Virginia Lynchburg,(40-7), Open)
8. Arkansas at P. B. Golden Lions-(2-1)-24-NR-(Beat Alcorn State Braves,(24-6), at-Alabama State Hornets)
9. Florida A & M Rattlers-(1-2)-19-NR-(Beat Hampton Pirates,(44-20), at-Delaware State Hornets)
10. Jackson State Tigers--(1-2)-18-NR-(Beat Texas Southern Tigers,(45-35), vs-Southern Jaguars)
Dropped Out: Alcorn State Braves-(1-2), Morgan State Bears-(1-2), Delaware State Hornets-(1-2), S. C. State Bulldogs-(1-2), Texas Southern Tigers-(1-2)
Receiving Votes: N. C. Central Eagles-(1-2)-10, Morgan State Bears-(1-2)-8, Texas Southern Tigers-(1-2)-3
PWR = Previous Week Ranking, 1PV = 1st Place Votes, LG = Last Game
# = 2011 Dr. Cavil’s HBCU Mid-Major Division Football Champion