As the games continue this past weekend, teams are trying to claim the number one position in their respective conferences. Tennessee State, an HBCU member of the Ohio Valley Conference and Alabama A&M of the SWAC, continue to remain on top of the countdown.
By Dr. J. Kenyatta Cavil and guest Jasmine Oliver
Inside the HBCU Huddle Columnist
College Sporting News
The No. 1 ranked Tennessee State Tigers continue to remain undefeated as they beat the No. 5 ranked Arkansas-Pine Bluff Golden Lions, 40-13 over the weekend. The Tigers will host the Eastern Kentucky Colonels next weekend; while the Golden Lions of Arkansas-Pine Bluff will travel to face the Jackson State Tigers.
The No. 2 ranked Alabama A&M Bulldogs continue to dominate SWAC competition as they remain undefeated after beating the Grambling State Tigers, 38-17. The Bulldogs will travel west to play the Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils.
The No. 3 ranked Howard Bison are slowly creeping up in rank as they beat the Savannah State Tigers 56-9. The Bison will host fellow MEAC rival Florida A&M as the Rattlers travel up North after losing to the No. 7 Southern Jaguars, 21-14. The Jaguars are in the top 10 poll rankings for the first time this year and will travel to face the Alcorn State Braves, who are riding a four-game losing streak.
No. 4 Bethune-Cookman got back to their winning ways after losing two straight and improved their record to 3-2 after beating the Hampton Pirates, 38-26. The Wildcats will face the North Carolina A&T State Aggies, who fell out of the top 10 after losing to the No. 8 Morgan State Bears, 21-18 last Thursday. The Morgan State Bears return to the poll rankings for the first time since week one. The Bears will head on the road to face the Savannah State Tigers in a MEAC match-up.
The No. 6 Alabama State Hornets went on the road and throttled the Alcorn State Braves, 54-14. Now, the Hornets turn their sights back home as they host the Texas Southern Tigers this week. The North Carolina Central Eagles moved up one spot to No. 9 although they were idle this past weekend.
The No. 10 South Carolina State Bulldogs are in the top 10 poll rankings after a brief hiatus for the last couple of weeks. The No. 10 Bulldogs will travel to visit the No. 9 Eagles in conference play for a top 10 contest.
This week on Dr. Cavil’s “HBCU Sports Top 10 Countdown” show on KCOH 1430AM radio (www.kcohradio.com
) announced the Week 5 Poll Rankings.
The 10th Anniversary (2002-2012) of Dr. Cavil's HBCU Major Division Football Top 10 Poll Rankings
(Presented by Bert Simmons - State Farm Agent, 281.485.5572; powered by THG Agency, LLC - (The Heritage Group, www.thg-agency.com
) & TSPNSports.com)
Name-Record-1PV-Points-PWR-Last Game-Next Game-(October 4-6)
1. Tennessee State Tigers-(5-0)(8)-105-1(Beat Arkansas P. B. Golden Lions,(40-13), vs-Eastern Kentucky Colonels)
2. Alabama A & M Bulldogs-(5-0)(4)-992(Beat Grambling State Tigers,(38-17), at-Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils)
3. Howard Bison-(3-1)894(Beat Savannah State Tigers,(56-9), vs-Florida A&M Rattlers)
4. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats-(3-2)877(Beat Hampton Pirates,(38-26), vs-N. C. A&T State Aggies)
5. Arkansas at P. B. Golden Lions-(3-2)783(Lost to Tennessee State Tigers,(40-13), vs-Jackson State Tigers)
6. #-Alabama State Hornets(3-2)659(Beat Alcorn State Braves,(54-14), vs-Texas Southern Tigers)
7. Southern Jaguars-(2-2)36NR-(Beat Florida A&M,(21-14, at-Alcorn State Braves)
8. Morgan State Bears-(2-2)31NR-(Beat N. C. A & T State Aggies,(21-18), at-Savannah State Tigers)
9. N. C. Central Eagles-(2-2)1910-(Did Not Play, vs-S. C. State Bulldogs)
10. S. C. State Bulldogs-(2-3)18NR-(Beat Norfolk State Spartans,(14-0), at-N. C. Central Eagles)
Dropped Out: N. C. A & T State Aggies-(2-2), Florida A&M Rattlers-(2-3), Norfolk State Spartans-(2-3)
Receiving Votes: N. C. A & T State Aggies-(2-2)-4, Norfolk State Spartans-(2-3)-3, Florida A&M Rattlers-(2-3)-2
PWR = Previous Week Ranking, 1PV = 1st Place Votes, LG = Last Game
# = 2011 Dr. Cavil’s HBCU Mid-Major Division Football Champion
Listen to Dr. Cavil’s “HBCU Sports Top 10 Countdown” show on KCOH 1430AM radio (www.kcohradio.com
) announcing Dr. Cavil’s Top 10 Major Division weekly poll rankings at 6:00 p.m. and Dr. Cavil’s “Inside the HBCU Sports Lab” with Ryan McGinty and Mike Washington from 9-10:00 p.m. every Sunday also on KCOH.