As the football season enters into its seventh week of play, two teams stand above the rest and are still fighting to claim the number one position.
By Dr. J. Kenyatta Cavil and guest Jasmine Oliver
Inside the HBCU Huddle Columnist
College Sporting News
The top six spots in the poll were unchanged this week. The No. 1 ranked Tennessee State Tigers (6-0) remain undefeated as they beat the Eastern Kentucky Colonels 23-20. The Tigers will look to keep their winning streak as they travel on the road against the SE Missouri State Redhawks this weekend.
The Alabama A&M Bulldogs are the only other undefeated program at the HBCU Major Division level and are ranked No. 2. The Bulldogs entered into the game as the Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils’ homecoming opponent and promptly crushed the Delta Devils, 35-0. Alabama A&M will enjoy their homecoming this weekend as they welcome the Alcorn State Braves this Saturday to Huntsville, Ala.
No. 3 is the Howard Bison, who beat the Florida A&M Rattlers, 17-10. The Bison will travel to face the North Carolina A&T State Aggies this week as they continue to leave their mark on the season and the MEAC race. The Bethune-Cookman Wildcats remain in the No. 4 spot after beating the Aggies 28-12.
The Arkansas-Pine Bluff Golden Lions remain in the No. 5 spot after beating the Jackson State Tigers, 34-24, over the weekend. The Wildcats and the Golden Lions have an open date this week as they’ll rest in preparation of making a final run at a league championship this season.
In the No. 6 spot is the Alabama State Hornets, who pounded the Texas Southern Tigers, 45-0. The Hornets recorded their second blowout in dominating fashion and will host the Jackson State Tigers this Saturday. The North Carolina Central Eagles move up two spots in the poll to No. 7 after defeating the previously ranked South Carolina State Bulldogs, 40-10. The Eagles will travel to Baltimore to take on the No. 8 Morgan State Bears, who hammered the Savannah State Tigers 45-6.
At No. 9 is the Delaware State Hornets, who enter into the poll after defeating the Norfolk State Spartans, 20-17. The Hornets will look make their move as they’ll travel to face South Carolina State this weekend. The Southern University Jaguars fall to No. 10 after losing to the Alcorn State Braves, 21-17. The Jaguars will seek a return to the winning side of the ledger as they host the Texas Southern Tigers for homecoming on the Bluff in Baton Rouge, La.
This week on Dr. Cavil’s “HBCU Sports Top 10 Countdown” show on KCOH 1430AM radio (www.kcohradio.com
) announced the Week 6 Poll Rankings.
The 10th Anniversary (2002-2012) of Dr. Cavil's HBCU Major Division Football Top 10 Poll Rankings
(Presented by Bert Simmons - State Farm Agent, 281.485.5572; powered by THG Agency, LLC - (The Heritage Group, www.thg-agency.com
) & TSPNSports.com)
Name-Record-1PV-Points-PWR-Last Game-Next Game-(October 11-13)
1. Tennessee State Tigers-(6-0)-(7)-104-1-(Beat Eastern Kentucky Colonels,(23-20), at-SE Missouri State Redhawks)
2. Alabama A & M Bulldogs-(6-0)-(5)-100-2-(Beat Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils,(35-0), vs-Alcorn State Braves)
3. Howard Bison-(4-1)-91-3-(Beat Florida A&M Rattlers,(17-10), at-N. C. A&T State Aggies)
4. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats-(4-2)-89-4-(Beat N. C. A&T State Aggies,(28-12), Open)
5. Arkansas at P. B. Golden Lions-(4-2)-75-5-(Beat Jackson State Tigers,(34-24), Open)
6. #-Alabama State Hornets-(4-2)-64-6-(Beat Texas Southern Tigers,(45-0), vs-Jackson State Tigers)
7. N. C. Central Eagles-(3-2)-38-9-(Beat S. C. State Bulldogs,(40-10), at-Morgan State Bears)
8. Morgan State Bears-(3-2)-32-8-(Beat Savannah State Tigers,(45-6), vs-N. C. Central Eagles)
9. Delaware State Hornets-(2-3)-23-NR-(Beat Norfolk State Spartans,(20-17), vs-S. C. State Bulldogs)
10. Southern Jaguars-(2-3)-18-7-(Lost to Alcorn State Braves,(21-17), vs-Texas Southern Tigers)
Dropped Out: S. C. State Bulldogs-(2-4)
Receiving Votes: Alcorn State Braves-(2-4)-1
PWR = Previous Week Ranking, 1PV = 1st Place Votes, LG = Last Game
# = (Alabama State Hornets) Dr. Cavil's 2011 HBCU Football Major Division National Champion
Listen to Dr. Cavil’s “HBCU Sports Top 10 Countdown” show on KCOH 1430AM radio (www.kcohradio.com
) announcing Dr. Cavil’s Top 10 Major Division weekly poll rankings at 6:00 p.m. and Dr. Cavil’s “Inside the HBCU Sports Lab” with Ryan McGinty and Mike Washington from 9-10:00 p.m. every Sunday also on KCOH.