This week’s countdown is similar to last week’s poll ranking with the exception of a few teams moving around the bottom of the countdown and a big jump by the Jackson State Tigers.
By Dr. J. Kenyatta Cavil and guest Jasmine Oliver
CSN Inside the HBCU Huddle Columnist
College Sporting News
The Tennessee State Tigers (8-2) remain No. 1 on the countdown and will travel to Martin, Tenn. to face the Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks after an open week on their schedule. The Bethune-Cookman Wildcats (8-2) have strengthened their position at No. 2 on the countdown after beating the Savannah State Tigers, 49-10. The Wildcats will face their in-state rival in the Florida A&M Rattlers next weekend in the annual BlueCross BlueShield Florida Classic in Orlando. The Golden Lions of Arkansas-Pine Bluff (8-2) remain No. 3 after defeating the Grambling State Tigers, 24-17. The Golden Lions will host the Prairie View Panthers this weekend before they start to prepare to represent the SWAC Western Division in the SWAC Championship Game (SCG) in Birmingham, Ala.
Moving up four positions to take the No. 4 spot are the Jackson State Tigers (6-4), after defeating the now No. 6 Alabama A&M Bulldogs (7-3), 35-21. Up next for the Tigers are their in-state rivals the Alcorn State Braves. The game between the Tigers and Braves will take on greater importance with not only the fact that the game has been moved back to the Alcorn State campus for the first time in more than a decade. But, if the Tigers win the contest, then they will represent the SWAC Eastern Division in the SCG. The Bulldogs, who started the year out strong but faded towards the end, will face the 2010 BCS National Champions Auburn Tigers of the SEC this weekend.
At No. 5 is the Alabama State Hornets (7-3), who beat the Southern Jaguars, 31-30. The Hornets will have an open date has they prepare to host the Mid-Major No. 2 Tuskegee Golden Tigers in the opening of the Hornets’ new stadium to close out the season in the 89th Turkey Day Classic. ASU is done with their SWAC schedule and will be on its hands and knees this weekend hoping that Alcorn State defeats Jackson State as that would send the Hornets to the SWAC Championship Game.
The North Carolina Central Eagles (6-4) move down to the No. 7 position after losing to the Florida A&M Rattlers, 22-21. This weekend, the Eagles will face their in-state rival in the No. 9 North Carolina A&T State Aggies (6-4). The Aggies defeated the South Carolina State Bulldogs, 17-7, over the weekend. The Delaware State Hornets (6-4), move up to No. 8 after beating the Hampton Pirates, 35-27. The Hornets will travel to face the No. 10 Howard Bison (6-4). The Bison had a haunting loss to the Georgia Southern Eagles of the Southern Conference, 69-26.
This week Dr. Cavil’s “HBCU Sports Top 10 Countdown” show on KCOH 1430AM radio (www.kcohradio.com
) announced the Week 10 Poll Rankings.
The 10th Anniversary (2002-2012) of Dr. Cavil's HBCU Major Division Football Top 10 Poll Rankings
(Presented by Bert Simmons - State Farm Agent, 281.485.5572; powered by THG Agency, LLC - (The Heritage Group, www.thg-agency.com
) & TSPNSports.com)
Name-Record-1PV-Points-PWR-Last Game-Next Game-(November 15-17)
1. Tennessee State Tigers-(8-2)--(5)-101-1--(Did Not Play, at-Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks)
2. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats-(8-2)--(4)-100-2--(Beat Savannah State Tigers,(49-10), vs-Flordia A&M Rattlers)
3. Arkansas at P. B. Golden Lions-(8-2)--(3)-94--3--(Beat Grambling State Tigers,(24-17), Prairie View A&M Panthers)
4. Jackson State Tigers-(6-4)--84--8--(Beat Alabama A&M Bulldogs,(35-21), at-Alcorn State Braves)
5. #-Alabama State Hornets--(7-3)--62--4--(Beat Southern Jaguars,(31-30), Open)
6. Alabama A & M Bulldogs-(7-3)--60--5--(Lost to Jackson State Tigers,(35-21), at-FBS/Auburn Tigers)
7. N. C. Central Eagles-(6-4)--56--6--(Lost to Florida A&M Rattlers,(22-21), vs-N. C. A&T State Aggies)
8. Delaware State Hornets-(6-4)--33--9--(Beat Hampton Pirates,(35-27), at-Howard Bison)
9. N. C. A&T State Aggies-(6-4)--25--10-(Beat S. C. State Bulldogs,(17-7), at-N. C. Central Eagles)
10. Howard Bison-(6-4)--21--7--(Lost to Georgia Southern Eagles,(69-26), vs-Delaware State Hornets)
Dropped Out: N/A
Receiving Votes: N/A
PWR = Previous Week Ranking, 1PV = 1st Place Votes, LG = Last Game
# = (Alabama State Hornets)
Listen to Dr. Cavil’s “HBCU Sports Top 10 Countdown” show on KCOH 1430AM radio (www.kcohradio.com
) announcing Dr. Cavil’s Top 10 Major Division weekly poll rankings at 6:00 p.m. and Dr. Cavil’s “Inside the HBCU Sports Lab” with Ryan McGinty and Mike Washington from 9-10:00 p.m. every Sunday also on KCOH.