By Dr. J. Kenyatta Cavil and guest Jasmine Oliver
CSN Inside the HBCU Huddle Columnist
College Sporting News
The Bethune-Cookman Wildcats (9-2) had an amazing regular season after going undefeated in the MEAC after defeating the Florida A&M Rattlers 21-16. The win, in combination with the loss by the Tennessee State Tigers, gave the Wildcats an edge in the poll as they moved up to the No. 1 position on the countdown. The Wildcats will compete in the NCAA FCS playoffs this weekend as they host the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers, (7-4), champions of the Big South Conference.
Bethune-Cookman was not the only team to move up on the countdown; the Golden Lions of Arkansas-Pine Bluff (9-2) defeated the Prairie View A&M Panthers in a high-scoring contest, 42-41, moving them to No. 2. The Golden Lions had already clinched the SWAC Western Division two weeks ago and will be open the next two weeks as they prepare to face the No. 4 Jackson State Tigers in the SWAC Championship Game in the Birmingham, Ala. on Dec. 8
Jackson State (7-4) maintains their position at No. 4 after defeating their rival, the Alcorn State Braves 37-11. They will also have two weeks to prepare for Arkansas-Pine Bluff after winning the Eastern Division of the SWAC.
Tennessee State, who held the number one ranking for six consecutive weeks, fell to No. 3 after losing a tough road game to the Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks, 35-26. The Tigers were as close as 28-26 after a failed two-point conversion this past weekend. The loss by the Tigers also took them out of FCS Playoff contention.
The No. 5 Alabama State Hornets (7-3) had an open date over the weekend, as they prepare for the Turkey Day Classic against the NCAA Division II Tuskegee Golden Tigers. Tuskegee is ranked No. 2 in Dr. Cavil’s Mid-Major Division Poll Rankings. The Alabama A&M Bulldogs will end their season at No. 6 this week. The Bulldogs lost to the FBS Auburn Tigers of the SEC, 51-7.
At No. 7 are the North Carolina A&T State Aggies (7-4), who had to go into overtime to defeat their rival, the No. 9 North Carolina Central Eagles (6-5) 22-16 to close out the season. In their last game of the season, the Howard Bison (7-4) defeated the Delaware State Hornets (6-5) in a hard-fought game. The Bison sealed a win over the Hornets with a final score of 41-34, ending the season No. 8 and No. 10 in the countdown, respectively.
This week Dr. Cavil’s “HBCU Sports Top 10 Countdown” show on KCOH 1430AM radio (www.kcohradio.com) announced the Week 12 Poll Rankings.
The 10th Anniversary (2002-2012) of Dr. Cavil's HBCU Major Division Football Top 10 Poll Rankings
(Presented by Bert Simmons - State Farm Agent, 281.485.5572; powered by THG Agency, LLC - (The Heritage Group, www.thg-agency.com) & TSPNSports.com)
Name-Record-1PV-Points-PWR-Last Game-Next Game-(November 22-24)
1. &-Bethune-Cookman Wildcats-(9-2)-(4)-101-2-(Beat Flordia A&M Rattlers,(21-16), vs-Coastal Carolina Chanticleers/NCAA D-I Playoffs)
2. @-Arkansas at P. B. Golden Lions-(9-2)-(3)-99-3-(Beat Prairie View A&M Panthers,(42-41), Open)
3. Tennessee State Tigers-(8-3)-(5)-98-1-(Lost to Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks,(35-26), Season Complete)
4. %-Jackson State Tigers-(7-4)-93-4-(Beat Alcorn State Braves,(37-11), Open)
5. #-Alabama State Hornets-(7-3)-61-5-(Did Not Play, vs-DII-Tuskegee Golden Tigers)
6. Alabama A & M Bulldogs-(7-4)-56-6-(Lost to FBS/Auburn Tigers,(51-7), Season Complete)
7. N. C. A&T State Aggies-(7-4)-54-9-(Beat N. C. Central Eagles,(22-16/OT), Season Complete,(22-16/OT)
8. Howard Bison-(7-4)-32-10-(Beat Delaware State Hornets,(41-34), Season Complete)
9. N. C. Central Eagles-(6-5)-25-7-(Lost to N. C. A&T State Aggies,(22-16/OT), Season Complete)
10. Delaware State Hornets-(6-5)-17-8-(Lost to Howard Bison,(41-34), Season Complete)
Dropped Out: N/A
Receiving Votes: N/A
PWR = Previous Week Ranking, 1PV = 1st Place Votes, LG = Last Game
# = (Alabama State Hornets) Dr. Cavil's 2011 HBCU Football Major Division National Champion
@ = SWAC Western Division Champion
% = SWAC Eastern Division Champion
& = MEAC Champion
Listen to Dr. Cavil’s “HBCU Sports Top 10 Countdown” show on KCOH 1430AM radio (www.kcohradio.com) announcing Dr. Cavil’s Top 10 Major Division weekly poll rankings at 6:00 p.m. and Dr. Cavil’s “Inside the HBCU Sports Lab” with Ryan McGinty and Mike Washington from 9-10:00 p.m. every Sunday also on KCOH.