Big South: Big South Football Preview - Week 1 (Aug. 29-31)
08-28-2013 01:02 PM
The 12th season of Big South Conference football kicks off this week with Liberty and Presbyterian College in action on Thursday, Aug. 29 while the remaining four members open Saturday, Aug. 31. A printable version of this preview is available to the right..
THURSDAY, AUG. 29
LIBERTY FLAMES (0-0) at Kent State Golden Flashes (0-0) • Dix Stadium • 6:00pm • ESPN3
• This is the second meeting between the schools. Kent State won the first meeting, 38-10, on Sept. 11, 2004.
• Liberty is opening the season on the road for the fourth time in five years -- all at FBS opponents.
• The Flames are 19-21 all-time in season openers, and last won a season-opener on the road in 1988.
• QB JOSH WOODRUM is 6-3 as Liberty’s starting QB and has completed 69.1 percent of his passes in that span.
• Liberty has scored in a Big South-record 85 consecutive games -- the last 29 in double-figures.
PRESBYTERIAN COLLEGE BLUE HOSE (0-0) at Wake Forest Demon Deacons (0-0) • BB&T Field • 6:30pm • ESPN3
• This is the 12th meeting between the schools. Wake Forest leads the series, 6-4-1.
• The game marks PC’s sixth FBS opponent since moving to NCAA Division I in 2007, and fourth against the ACC.
• The Blue Hose have not been shutout in 69 of their last 70 games.
• PC is 33-62-5 all-time in season openers, and last won a season-opener on the road in 2006.
• LB DONELLE WILLIAMS needs 14 tackles to become the 38th player in Big South history with 200 in a career.
SATURDAY, AUG. 31
CHARLESTON SOUTHERN BUCCANEERS (0-0) at The Citadel Bulldogs (0-0) • Johnson Hagood Stadium • 6:00pm
• This is the seventh meeting between the schools. The Citadel leads the series, 5-1.
• Charleston Southern’s lone win in the series was a 38-35 double-overtime victory in 2006.
• CSU is opening the season on the road for the ninth time in the last 10 seasons.
• The Bucs are looking for their first FCS road win since Nov. 7, 2009 at PC -- a streak of 11 consecutive defeats.
• QB MALCOLM DIXON needs 75 rushing yards to become the sixth Big South QB in history with 1,000.
#21/25 COASTAL CAROLINA CHANTICLEERS (0-0) at South Carolina State Bulldogs (0-0) • Oliver C. Dawson Stadium • 6:00pm
• This is the third meeting between the schools, but first since 2006. Coastal Carolina leads the series, 2-0.
• The Chanticleers won the first-ever meeting in 2005, a 24-23 comeback win in Orangeburg.
• Coastal is 5-5 all-time in season openers, but 2-4 on the road. This is CCU’s first road season-opener since ‘10.
• The Chants are also playing their first season-opener at an FCS opponent since 2007.
• WR MATT HAZEL needs one receiving TD to become the seventh Big South player with 20 in a career.
Furman Paladins (0-0) at GARDNER-WEBB RUNNIN’ BULLDOGS (0-0) • Spangler Stadium • 6:00pm • WMYA-TV 40, ESPN3
• This is the fourth meeting between the schools, but first since 2005. Furman leads the series, 3-0.
• The Runnin’ Bulldogs are opening the season at home for the fifth consecutive season.
• This marks the first time in the series that GWU is facing an un-ranked Paladin squad.
• Gardner-Webb has scored in 55 consecutive games, the second-longest streak in the Big South Conference.
• DE PRESTON PEMASA ranks among the League’s top 10 in TFL (5th - 35.0) and QB sacks (T-10th, 12.5).
VMI KEYDETS (0-0) at #14/15 Richmond Spiders • Robins Stadium • 6:00pm
• This is the 89th meeting between the two schools. Richmond leads the series, 43-40-5.
• VMI’s last win in the series was in 1996, a 20-7 victory in Lexington.
• The Keydets are 74-46-2 all-time in season openers. VMI last opened on the road inside Virginia in 1999.
• Saturday’s game is just the fourth recorded game in August in VMI’s football history.
• QB ERIC KORDENBROCK (4,523) needs 24 passing yards to move into 10th all-time in Big South history.