Big South: Big South Football Preview - Week 2 (Sept. 7)
09-06-2013 08:30 AM
Big South football continues this Saturday, Sept. 7, with all six teams in action – including five games available live for FREE on the new Big South Network. A printable version of this preview is available to the right.
Shorter Hawks (0-0) at CHARLESTON SOUTHERN BUCCANEERS (1-0) • CSU Stadium • 11:00am • Big South Network
• This is the second meeting between the schools. Charleston Southern won the first meeting, 23-20, last year.
• The Buccaneers are looking to start 2-0 for the first time since 2006 when CSU opened 9-0.
• CSU last won its home opener in 2010 -- defeating JAMEY CHADWELL’s North Greenville Crusaders, 41-31.
• The Buccaneers carry a four-game home win streak into Saturday’s contest.
• QB MALCOLM DIXON averaged 20.1 yards on his seven completions last week at The Citadel.
Glenville State Pioneers (0-0) at VMI KEYDETS (0-1) • Foster Stadium • 1:30pm • Big South Network
• This is the first meeting between the schools, and the first of two consecutive first-time opponents for VMI.
• VMI is looking to win its second consecutive home opener ... The Keydets have not opened 0-2 since 2011.
• The Keydets are also looking to end a scoreless streak of five consecutive quarters.
• QB ERIC KORDENBROCK (909) needs 13 offensive plays to move into eighth all-time in Big South history.
• Of DB JAMES FRUEHAN’s 99 career tackles, 69 have been solo stops -- including eight last week at Richmond.
Brevard Tornados (0-0) at PRESBYTERIAN COLLEGE BLUE HOSE (0-1) • Bailey Memorial Stadium • 2:00pm • Big South Network
• This is the second meeting between the schools. Presbyterian leads the series, 1-0.
• PC is looking to win its third consecutive home opener, which includes last season’s 45-10 win over Brevard.
• The Blue Hose are also seeking to avoid their first 0-2 start since 2010.
• LB DONELLE WILLIAMS needs three tackles to become the 38th player in Big South history with 200.
• Presbyterian College will attempt to end its four-game home losing streak on Saturday.
Furman Paladins (0-1) at #22/24 COASTAL CAROLINA CHANTICLEERS (1-0) • Brooks Stadium • 6:00pm • WMYA-TV, Big South Network, ESPN3
• This is the fifth meeting between the schools. Coastal Carolina leads the series, 3-1.
• The Chanticleers are 7-3 all-time in home openers and have won their last two.
• Coastal is looking to start 2-0 for the third-straight year and fifth time on program history.
• The Chants have rushed for more than 200 yards in eight of their last nine games (7-1 record).
• Coastal Carolina is 6-8 all-time against Southern Conference opponents.
GARDNER-WEBB RUNNIN’ BULLDOGS (1-0) at Marshall Thundering Herd (1-0) • Joan C. Edwards Stadium • 6:30pm
• This is the first meeting between the schools, and GWU’s seventh-straight season playing an FBS member.
• Gardner-Webb is looking to open 2-0 for the first time since 2010.
• QB LUCAS BEATTY has passed for more than 235 yards in four of his last five games.
• Gardner-Webb has scored in 56 consecutive games, the second-longest streak in the Big South Conference.
• The Runnin’ Bulldogs converted 9-of-18 third down opportunities in the season-opener against Furman.
Monmouth Hawks (0-1) at LIBERTY FLAMES (0-1) • Williams Stadium • 7:00pm • LFSN, Big South Network
• This is the first meeting between the schools. Monmouth joins the Big South as an associate member in 2014.
• Liberty is looking to avoid its second consecutive 0-2 start to the season.
• The Flames are beginning their 25th year of play at Williams Stadium, and is 89-43 ( =.674) inside the facility.
• Liberty has recorded a touchdown pass in each of TURNER GILL’s 12 games as head coach.
• The Flames are seeking their first home win against a non-Conference FCS opponent since Sept. 10, 2011.