Big South: Big South Football Preview - Week 3 (Sept. 14)
09-12-2013 03:38 PM
Big South football continues this Saturday, Sept. 14, with all six teams in action – including Gardner-Webb hosting No. 11/15 Richmond on ESPN3. Another three games will be broadcast live for FREE on the Big South Network. A printable version of this preview is available to the right.
PRESBYTERIAN COLLEGE BLUE HOSE (1-1) at Furman Paladins (0-2) • Paladin Stadium • 12:00pm
• This is the 55th meeting between the schools. Furman leads the series, 42-11-1.
• PC is looking to defeat Furman for the first time since a 17-10 victory in Greenville on Sept. 15, 1979.
• The Blue Hose are seeking their second consecutive win and first two-game win streak since the end of 2011.
• Presbyterian is looking to snap a four-game road losing streak as well.
• RB DEMARCUS ROUSE leads the Big South in rushing yards per carry with a 7.7 average.
North Greenville Crusaders (1-0) at VMI KEYDETS (1-1) • Foster Stadium • 1:30pm • Big South Network
• This is the first meeting between the schools, and the second of two consecutive first-time foes for VMI.
• VMI is looking to win back-to-back home games in the same season for the first time since 2010.
• The Keydets are also seeking their first 2-1 start to the season since opening the 2008 campaign at 2-1.
• RB DERRICK ZIGLAR is VMI’s top rusher with 130 yards and top receiver with seven catches for 113 yards.
• DB ALEX JAMES leads the Big South with 29 total tackles and a 14.5 per game average.
CHARLESTON SOUTHERN BUCCANEERS (2-0) at Campbell Fighting Camels (1-1) • Barker Lane Stadium • 6:00pm • Big South Network
• This is the first meeting between the schools. Charleston Southern is 2-2 against Pioneer League since 2002.
• The Bucs begin a three-game road trip this Saturday, the third-straight year with three consecutive road tilts.
• Charleston Southern is looking to start 3-0 for the first time since 2006 when the Bucs opened 9-0.
• WR KEVIN GLEARS leads the Big South with three receiving touchdowns after two games.
• Charleston Southern ranks seventh nationally in pass efficiency defense and sixth in turnover margin (+2.5).
#21/21 COASTAL CAROLINA CHANTICLEERS (2-0) at Eastern Kentucky Colonials (1-1) • Roy Kidd Stadium • 6:00pm
• This is the second meeting between the schools. Eastern Kentucky won the first meeting last year, 35-17.
• The Chanticleers are looking to start 3-0 for the first time in program history.
• RB LORENZO TALIAFERRO is the first player in CCU history to surpass 200 rushing yards after two games.
• LB QUINN BACKUS needs five tackles to become the 39th player in Big South history with 200 in a career.
• Coastal Carolina has won its last four regular-season road games, dating back to last season.
#11/15 Richmond Spiders (1-1) at GARDNER-WEBB RUNNIN’ BULLDOGS (1-1) • Spangler Stadium • 6:00pm • Big South Network
• This is the second meeting between the schools. Richmond won the first meeting last year, 41-8.
• GWU is looking to win three consecutive non-Conference home games for the first time since 2009-10.
• WR KENNY COOK leads the League with 13 receptions after the first two games of the season.
• DL SHAQUILLE RIDDICK leads the Big South with 4.0 TFL and 3.0 sacks following the first two weeks.
• KR J.J. HUBBARD is eighth all-time in Conference history with 53 career kickoff returns.
Morgan State Bears (0-2) at LIBERTY FLAMES (1-1) • Williams Stadium • 7:00pm • LFSN, Big South Network
• This is the fourth meeting between the schools, but first since 1996. Liberty leads the series, 2-1.
• The Flames are looking to win back-to-back non-Conference FCS home games for the first time since 2010.
• QB JOSH WOODRUM has thrown a touchdown pass in 10 of his 11 games as Liberty’s starting quarterback.
• WR DARRIN PETERSON is 12th in the nation with 115.0 receiving yards per game.
• The Flames have held seven of their last eight opponents to less than 20 points scored.