Big South: Big South Football Preview - Week 9 (Oct. 26)
10-25-2013 08:32 AM
Big South football continues this Saturday, Oct. 26, with all six teams in action – including Liberty at Gardner-Webb in the Big South “Game of the Week” on ESPN3 beginning at 1:30pm. A printable version of this preview – as well as this week’s national FCS round-up -- is available to the right.
Charlotte 49ers (4-3) at #24 CHARLESTON SOUTHERN BUCCANEERS (7-1, 1-0 Big South) • Buccaneer Field • 1:00pm • Big South Network
• This is the first meeting between the schools, and the fourth of four first-time opponents for the Buccaneers.
• CSU carries a six-game home winning streak into the game, the longest active streak in the Big South.
• RB CHRISTIAN REYES needs three rushing yards to break the CSU single-season record of 774.
• Charleston Southern is third nationally in 3rd down conversion defense at 28.1 percent.
• The Buccaneers are averaging 229.5 rushing yards per game to rank 18th in FCS.
LIBERTY FLAMES (3-4, 0-1 Big South) at GARDNER-WEBB RUNNIN’ BULLDOGS (4-3, 0-1 Big South) • Spangler Stadium • 1:30pm • Big South Network
THE SERIES: This is the 20th meeting between the schools. Liberty leads the series, 10-8-1.
FLAMES FACTS: Liberty has won the last six meetings ... The Flames are looking to avoid their first 0-2 Big South start since 2006 ... Liberty has suffered its four losses this season by an average of 5.75 points (23 total), while its winning margin is 41.3 points ... RB DESMOND RICE is averaging 104.3 rushing yards in his last four games with five rushing scores ... QB JOSH WOODRUM has thrown for 677 yards and five TDs in his last two outings ... The Flames continue to lead the Big South in rushing defense with 141.6 yards allowed.
BULLDOG BITES: Gardner-Webb last defeated Liberty in 2006, a 27-24 victory in Lynchburg. GWU’s last home win over the Flames was in 2005 (21-16) ... The Runnin’ Bulldogs are looking to avoid their third-straight 0-2 Big South start ... RB JUANNE BLOUNT is averaging 106 rushing yards in his last four games with three rushing scores ... QB LUCAS BEATTY (416) needs four completions to move into the Big South’s all-time Top 10 and is 299 passing yards away from 5,000 in his career ... GWU is first nationally in time of possession (35:35)..
Point Skyhawks (3-4) at PRESBYTERIAN COLLEGE BLUE HOSE (2-4, 1-0 Big South) • Bailey Memorial Stadium • 2:00pm • Big South Network
• This is the first meeting between the schools, and the second of two first-time opponents for PC this season.
• The Blue Hose are looking to win back-to-back home games for the first time since the end of 2011.
• WR JEREMIAH McKIE is 13th in FCS with a 28.1 kickoff return average.
• PC is tied for first in the Big South for fewest sacks allowed with 14.
• LB UGONNA AKOH has recorded at least one TFL in every game and has 8.0 on the season.
VMI KEYDETS (1-6, 0-2 Big South) at #3/6 COASTAL CAROLINA CHANTICLEERS • Brooks Stadium • 6:00pm • Big South Network
THE SERIES: This is the 11th meeting between the schools. Coastal Carolina leads the series, 8-2.
KEYDET KICKS: The Keydets last defeated the Chanticleers in 2008, a 47-20 victory in Lexington. VMI’s last win at Coastal Carolina was in 2003 (19-10) ... VMI is looking to avoid its first 0-3 Big South start since 2009 ... The Keydets continue to lead the Big South in passing offense at 268.3 yards per game ... DERRICK ZIGLAR leads the Keydets with 405 rushing yards ... WR MATTHEW NICHOLSON has caught a touchdown pass in three-straight games ... WR SAM PATTERSON has caught three TDs in the last two games.
CHANTICLEER CROWS: Coastal Carolina has won the last four meetings ... The Chanticleers are looking for their first 3-0 Big South start since 2006 ... CCU is looking to become just the second Big South team to open the year 8-0 ... WR MATT HAZEL needs 55 receiving yards for 2,000 in his career ... RB LORENZO TALIAFFERRO needs two touchdowns to become the third player in League history with 20 in a season ... The Chanticleers have scored at least 40 points in five consecutive games ... CCU has won its last five home games.